Saturday, February 11, 2006

Classic Rock?

So I was reading the new Rolling Stone this morning (another on the HUGE list of magazines I read) and they had this article about young America’s obsession with classic rock. It is very interesting how teens are turning to the greats of the past. The trend is extremely apparent in my school by the Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin T-shirts flooding the hallways. Do I support this? Well yes and no. I respect all music. I play a few instruments and know a lot of kids who play or sing and I know how hard it is to create any music at all. I am open to any type of music, and am made fun of by my brother (a classics fan) constantly because of my fondness of all genres (some more than others though). When it comes to classic rock I am a little undecided. I mean I have MAJOR respect to the artists or anyone for that matter who plays the guitar. It is a really hard instrument to play (I have tried... and failed) especially if you rock as hard as Jimi Hendrix, Guitar Legend! But when it comes to the sound of the music I am not as enthused as some. A few songs here and there I really like (Harder rock like, Jimi Hendrix-Fire, Pink Floyd-Young Lust, then folksier rock like some Neil Young and The Band etc.). Stuff like that is really what I consider classic rock. I think just because it isn't called classic rock it doesn't mean it isn't classic, if you get what I am saying. Some of my favorite older bands like the Beatles, The Clash, Ramones, The Cure, Nirvana etc., I really don't consider classic rock... maybe the Beatles but still... I don't think they belong in the same category as Jimi Hendrix. Sure they are all extremely CLASSIC bands that will never be un-popular but they don't belong together. So to answer my own question... I enjoy my kinda classic rather than my brothers.

Oh, is it just me or is the boy who ONLY likes Classic rock thing getting old...respect the classics by supporting the new comers who where influenced by your fav classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home